Thursday, June 28, 2012

Guest Post from And Here's to You Mrs. Robinson


This is Megan.
She is flippin amazing.
I absolutely LOVE reading her blog, and here's to you Mrs. Robinson
She has such a beautiful way of writing that makes you keep coming back.
I also love reading about her sweet little boy.
I think she is such a wonderful mother and I am thrilled to have her guest posting about what its like to be a mama.
Thank you so much Megan!



Photobucket


Before I became a mother, I had a whole list of things I was going to do every day
and things I refused to ever do.

I thought I knew how it would go down.
I set high expectations for myself and my baby {who I had yet to meet}.
And because I had such high standards, if I didn't live up to them I thought I was a terrible mother.

There were many times I would read books, articles, and yes, some other mommy blogs and think,
"I don't do that. My baby doesn't do that. What is wrong with us?"
I would beat myself up so much about it that at times it was hard for me to enjoy what was really there.





Photobucket


And what was really there was a happy, loving, beautiful baby boy who loved me.
A healthy, chubby son with big brown eyes and a head full of baldness.
A crazy mover and shaker who refused to stay still and taught himself to roll, crawl, and walk very early on.
A new, eternal, incredible bond between my son and I that I would cherish forever.
And all of the other wonderful things that come with motherhood.

It took me a while but I eventually learned my most important lesson of motherhood:
I AM THE MOTHER.
I am the mother. Me. Not my neighbor, not my friend, not other bloggers, not even my doctor.
Me.
And only I know my baby best.
I know how he likes to be held at night to go to sleep.
I know how he likes to cuddle, feeling safe and warm in my arms.
I know how he eats, sleeps, and likes to play.
I know how he learns and how he interacts.
I know.
I know.

Yes, books and friends and blogs all have their place.
There were many times where I was at a complete loss and needed to turn to someone for help and they were there. But it was still very important that I used my own gut and intuition to know what was right for me and my son.




Photobucket


My son and I are both very happy even though most of the things I said I would do {or never do} didn't actually happen.
He is happy because I learned to recognize his needs, his temperament, and let him be himself.
I am happy because I have lowered the expectations for myself greatly and have tried to take it day by day, enjoying all the sweet moments.

Motherhood is not easy. Nor is it the same experience for everyone.
We are all different. Our children are different.
But we are all meant to be together with our children for a reason.

I know my son was meant specifically for me.
I know he was meant to bring special blessings only meant for me.
He brings me such great happiness that I never thought was possible.
And when I remember to trust myself and my own abilities, the stresses of living up to an unknown standard melts away and I am able to be the best mother to my son that I can be.

Thank you so much, Lauren for letting me share my mothering experiences with your readers!
You are going to be a FANTASTIC mother and I know your little girl will feel so incredibly loved!
+



Photobucket

1 comment:

Megan said...

I don't know how I missed this! It just popped up on my reader just the other day so that's weird. But thank you thank you so much for your kind words about me!! You are so nice! I'm so happy for your and your new sweet girl!! :)