Thursday, February 3, 2011

Country Tunes





I love music. There isn't much that I won't listen to, and there is nothing I love more than hearing new songs and new types of music. While I can't love everything I hear, I can at least appreciate most genres. However, I love country music. I know most people hate it, and I just can't understand why. I have always believed that you should at least try something before making a judgment. I'm sure every country music fan out there has found him or herself in a conversation with another person who makes the claim that he or she likes every kind of music there is-except for country. Why is this? What is wrong with country music? Could it be the fact that you can actually understand what the artist is trying to say? Or maybe because it's not about sex, drugs and filth, and it's good, clean, honest music you can listen to while your grandmother is in the room?

I like country music because it's about the things in life that really matter. It's about family, God, love, children and sacrifice.Unlike so many other music genres where you may not know the actual words to even your favorite songs, with country, the words and meaning are crystal clear.

Instead of taking political sides on issues like war, country music celebrates the men and women who go to fight for our freedom. Country music is also great because it talks about how wonderful kids are. Too often we hear about how awful kids can be these days, but this music honors children and shows that there are great kids out there who just need a little support and understanding. One of my favorite songs is called "Watching You" by Rodney Atkins. He sings: "I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool? I'm your buckaroo, I want to be like you, and eat all my food and grow as tall as you are. We like fixing things and holding mama's hand, yeah we're just alike, hey ain't we dad? I wanna do everything you do. So, I've been watching you."

This is an example of what really matters in life and how we shouldn't take anything for granted. It's real music, sung by real people, for real people-the people who make up the backbone of this country.Country music isn't all dead dogs and broken hearts. It's about the same things any other type of music is about, and some songs are just downright funny. Of course, not everyone will like country music, even if they really give it a try. I can respect that. However, unless you've really listened to the good stuff, you can't say you hate country music.

No comments: