I will be meeting you this fall when the Beefcake will be joining you for pharmacy school
down at good old...
I will admit, between our three choices of University of Hawaii, Drake and Roseman University (Which is IN Utah)
Drake was not the one I thought we'd end up going to...
But alas, they offered a decent scholarship and well... you just cant ignore the money people!So after much resistance (from me) I finally gave into the fact that we will be spending the next 4 years in a state far from home.
Ok ok, I do need to say that I know that this is where we are supposed to be and Heavenly Father will take care of us, but that doesnt mean I am too happy about it right now.
So to cheer myself up, I looked up some facts about that midwestern state. . .
First thing that made me feel better was finding out what the mascot of Drake University is. . .
Yes! Ok we are off to a good start. What else does Iowa have to offer?
Well I will tell ya...
1. According to one study the residents of Des Moines consume over 11 pounds of potato chips per year. More than any other metro area in the nation.
2. Des Moines was originally named Fort Raccoon, then it was changed to Fort Des Moines and finally shortened to the current name, Des Moines.
3. The infamous bat bite that Ozzy Osbourne took, happened during his concert in Des Moines in 1982.
4. MSNBC named Des Moines as one of the best mid-sized cities for quality of life.
5. A man with a moustache may never kiss a woman in public.
6. Doctors who treat a person with gonorrhea must report this to the local board of health and include the disease’s “probable origin”
7. Geographically, Iowa is one of the flattest states in the US, but it IS considering getting implants so that South Dakota will FINALLY pay attention to it.
8. The state song of Iowa is "Corn! Corn! Corn!", which consists entirely of people singing the word "corn" for 5 minutes, and was the inspiration for Monthy Python's "Spam" sketch.
9. The state tree of Iowa is the oak tree, because... well, they had to choose SOMETHING, and since corn doesn't grow on trees, they figured acorns were close enough.
10. The world's smallest city park is in Hiteman, Iowa, and consists of a single blade of grass growing through a crack in the sidewalk.
And yes, keeping it mowed IS a union job. How did you guess?
11. Kalona, Iowa is the largest Amish settlement west of the Mississippi. It was founded in 1858 by ultraconservative Amish who were sick of those Pennsylvania harlots shamelessly flaunting their naked wrists.
12. Dubuque, Iowa is frequently the site of violent turf wars between rival gangs of Hicks and Bumpkins.
Hmmm... You ABOUT sold me! :)
I wish I could take credit for these facts, but most were found here.
Iowa better watch out because...
HERE WE COME!